California Sacramento Mission
Home PageAlumniPresHistoryMapStuffLDS Mission Network


California Sacramento Mission

Like California itself, the California Sacramento Mission has had a successful and colorful past.

On February 4, 1846, Samuel Brannan led a group of 235 members of the Church from branches in the New England and Atlantic States, as they sailed from New York city, in a ship called the "Brooklyn", for the California Territory. They sailed around Cape Horn and touched at the Hawaiian Islands before landing at Yerba Buena, now San Francisco on July 29, 1846. The California Mission was organized on July 31, 1846, as the 5th Mission of the Church, with Samuel Brannan as the first President. In January 1847, the first English newspaper, "The California Star", was printed by Samuel Brannan on a press brought with the Saints.

On June 30, 1847, Samuel Brannan met Brigham Young and the Saints at the Green River, where he tried in vain to persuade President young to lead the Saints to the West Coast. In January of 1848 members of the Mormon Battalion were at Sutter's Fort and Sutter's Mill where Gold was discovered at Sutter's mill (in Coloma).

In 1859, the California Mission was closed and was not reopened until the 23rd of August, 1892 with John L. Dalton as president. As people continued to flock to California to enjoy her resources and industry, more missionaries were called to serve in the "Golden" State.

On January 2, 1942, the mission was split and the Northern half was reorganized as the Northern California Mission, with German E. Ellsworth as president. This great man was responsible for introducing the use of the Book of Mormon as the main missionary tools. The name of the mission was changed to the California North Mission on July 15, 1966.

On July 1, 1969, the California North Mission was divided when the California Central Mission (later to be the Oakland Mission) was formed, and the headquarters were moved to Sacramento with Ira A. Terry as President. Mission leadership changed when William M. Walsh was called in 1972. The name of the mission was changed to California Sacramento on the 20 June 1974, at which time a portion of the mission was transferred to create the Nevada Las Vegas Mission. E. LaMar Buckner was called to serve in July 1975.

In July 1976, the Walnut Creek and Concord stakes were transfered to the California Oakland Mission . In 1978 William E. Zwick, Jr was called and the Napa, Fairfield and San Rafael Stakes became part of the California Oakland Mission as the California San Jose Mission had it's beginnings. John Porter was called to serve as President in 1981.

1984 saw Norman N. White called to preside. On the 1 July 1985, the Ukiah, Eureka and Santa Rosa stakes were split from the mission to create the new California Santa Rosa Mission. In July 1987, Gerald Wray became President of the Sacrameto Mission. July 1990 saw Paul Ripplinger called as President. In 1991 the mission office was moved to Roseville.

In July 1993 Jerry C. Roundy was called to serve and the Redding, Anderson, Chico, Yuba City, Gridley, Oroville, Citrus Heights, Antelope, Roseville, Rocklin, and Auburn Stakes became part of the newly created Roseville Mission. The Lodi, Stockton and Manteca Stakes rejoined Sacramento from the Oakland mission and Davis Stake was given to the Santa Rosa Mission.

Richard S. Nixon was chosen to preside over the Sacramento Mission in July 1996 and the mission office moved to Orangeville. President Robert Grow was called in July 1999. President R.Craig Hansen was called in July 2002. In July 2005 President R. Randall Huff was called to serve as the 21st president of the mission.

Return to Top

| Home Page | Alumni | Presidents | History | Maps | Stuff |
Last updated: Mar 29th, 2006